Course Overview and Target Audience
This course will help surgeons new to balloons understand risks, benefits, expected outcomes, patient selection, placement procedure, removal, pre and postoperative management and prevention/treatment of complications. The two intragastric balloons that were approved by the FDA as a primary weight loss strategy recently will be included. This course will address the needs of surgeons and the entire multidisciplinary team. It will also include hands-on experience with some of the most experienced Surgeons and GIs from around the world. This didactic course will be followed by a one and a half hour hands-on lab.
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Utilize the indications and contraindications for the intragastric balloon therapy.
- Describe the balloon technique for placement and removal.
- Recognize the complications associated to the intragastric balloon.
- Identify the available data associated with the intragastric balloon.
- Demonstrate direct hands-on experience in placement and removal of both intragastric balloons.