Course Overview and Target Audience
This course is designed for physicians, pharmacists, nurses, advanced practice nurses, physician assistants, dietitians, and other clinical personnel involved with the care of the bariatric surgery patient. This course will include challenging pharmacotherapeutic issues in the care of the pre-operative, peri-operative, and post-operative bariatric surgery patient. Current and future research projects in the area of drug absorption after bariatric surgery will be discussed. Case studies will be used to highlight pain management issues in the perioperative time period surrounding bariatric surgery.
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Discuss drug absorption changes and challenges in post-bariatric surgery patients.
- Describe the impact of gastric bypass on extended release drug formulations.
- Evaluate VTE prophylaxis strategies, controversies, and concerns in the bariatric surgery patient.
- Analyze how to modify diabetes medication regimens due to bariatric surgery.
- List issues in perioperative pain management and review treatment strategies using patient case studies.