This course is designed for both surgeons and integrated health professionals.
Course Overview and Target Audience
This course is designed for both surgeons and integrated health professionals. This multidisciplinary course is designed for bariatric surgeons, general surgeons who provide call coverage for bariatric surgeons, emergency department physicians, critical care specialists, hospitalists, and internists who manage postoperative bariatric patients. The program gives a foundation of common knowledge for all members of the bariatric team who are involved in the evaluation and management of serious life-threatening conditions in bariatric patients. This knowledge is applicable in both large tertiary hospitals as well as small rural emergency departments.
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Identify the various types of bariatric surgeries and recognize the complications associated with each type.
- List procedures and policies to minimize complications in bariatric surgery patients.
- Recognize and manage the common bariatric surgical emergencies.
- Define and manage the common nutritional and metabolic complications associated with bariatric surgery.
- Practice postoperative follow up and support of the bariatric surgical patient.